Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Boo-hoo Jack-a-roo...

It has been a tough day filled with TOO many tears but all is better now. Jack got off to a rough start this morning as I woke him up (something I never have to do) and whisked him away to the car for a long car drive to see the allergy/asthma specialist in Bellingham. Jack is usually a morning guy but I think I threw off his routine a little and he was feeling pretty fussy.

By the time we got to the appointment we had already been off and running for an hour and I thought he was beginning to cheer up a little. He had had his dose of Starbucks (just a vanilla milk) and a delicious slice of lemon loaf in the car for breakfast...wouldn't that cheer anyone up? Just as he was beginning to feel a little better we were called back for his appointment and whatever was making him fussy in the morning came back. Now when we go to our regular pediatrician Jack literally runs in and hugs Dr. Levine. He plays with him, lets him check out anything on his body and smiles and laughs the whole time. Today on the other hand was not that kind of visit.

We arrived at the clinic at 9am and were escorted back to the room around 9:30. The nurse was nice enough but Jack was just not feeling her. We wrestled with him for over 15 minutes to check the oxygen levels in his blood but in the end he won. Soon after the doctor, Dr. Alkeim, came in to chat about Jack. While I was completely and totally impressed with him Jack was not. He began tossing toys, kicking off his shoes...you name it. Dr. Alkeim didn't seem to mind though and continued on with the appointment. After this session, which I feel the need add was so incredibly thorough and informational, Dr. Alkeim suggested letting Jack RUN the hallways until the nurse came back in. Jack did just that. We played "Mark, get set, go" for about 20 minutes and even ran into Bryan's Auntie Barb. She helped me out with Jack and chatted with me until the nurse came back in.

This is when the real tears resumed. The nurse began drawing on his back with a pen and then the allergy testing began. Jack let out a scream like I had never heard before and I have to say I was looking down as my own eyes began to fill with tears. When they were done the little guy just melted in my arms and snuggled his pitiful little body against mine. The nurse did a great job of trying to cheer him up and brought in a Thomas the Train video for him to watch for the next 15 minutes or so while we watched for the reactions. Jack was much happier but was irritated that he couldn't touch or itch his miserable back. Finally, the nurse came back in and we started all over again with the tears as she measured each and every little reaction mark on his back. Seriously, I felt like I had run a marathon by this point and I can't imagine what was going on in Jack's little mind.

When she was all finished she gave me some literature to read about allergies and asthma while we waited for the results from the doctor. By this point we had been in this room for almost 3 hours and Jack was very tired and hungry and we all know that leads to only one thing...
fussiness.

I have to say that it was all worth it though. Dr. Alkeim was amazing and gave me such a clearer idea of what was going on not only with Jack but with my own pregnancy as well. I am definitely a person who just wants to know all the facts and does not like things sugar-coated. He did just this. As a parent I felt so empowered with the knowledge I had gained with this one visit. His conclusion with Jack is that he had a back case of "day care" and believes that kids should not be exposed to illnesses at a young age. He believes that it is much better to be exposed when they are school age when it will effect them less severely. When kids are in day care they never have a chance to build their immune system back up and continually get one thing after anotherl This is exactly what was happening to Jack. YEAH! Finally someone who speaks my language (besides Dr. Levine of course). He is ordering another round of x-rays (our 4th to be exact) to see if the spots on his lungs have disappeared now that he is home and healthy. For now he didn't see this as an asthmatic issue which is a huge relief for Bryan and I. His allergy test came back negative as well so Butch the cat will be living with us for a while longer I guess.

On another note...we went to see Dr. Levine for Jack's 18 month appointment last week. He is a tall little guy measuring 34 1/2 inches (95th percentile) and weighs 26 lbs 16oz (60th percentile). My long lean boy is getting bigger each day and he is changing by the minute. While Emily was counting to 20 in English and 10 in Spanish, singing her ABC's and much, much more at this age Jack still uses few words. He says "Mama, Dada, There it is, Bye-Bye, Hi, ball" but that is just about it. He points and gestures a lot and definitely knows what he wants. He loves to throw balls, run outside but mostly he loves to play with trucks, tractors and cars. He is extremely outgoing and stops and says "hi" to every stranger he meets. Honestly I have to say that I like that he still acts and looks like a little boy. I look back now on the expectations we and others had for Emily just because she was so incredibly verbal and I think she grew up just way too fast. Jack is definitely still my little baby and I am going to keep him that way as long as I can. Looking at Emily and all that she is doing makes me realize how quickly time goes. It really makes you stop and cherish every second of every day.

2 comments:

  1. you got your camera to work! :-)

    Glad no allergies or asthma for Jack! What a huge relief for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow . . . what a day. Glad you finally have some answers!

    ReplyDelete