Friday, October 29, 2010

Pumpkin carving...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE carving pumpkins!  I think I get more excited than the kids.  This year I did a good job pumping everyone up with hopes that everyone would participate and have a super fun time.  Last year Jack was just a little too little to understand it all, Emily was freaked out with the texture of the pumpkin guts and my husband finds no joy in scooping out and carving them.  But I had to enlist a little help this year since I am still on thumb recovery so I warmed up some honey crisp cidar on the stove, baked up some pumpkin loaf and coated it with a thick layer of creamy frosting and whipped up a batch of rice crispy treats.  I knew with all of these treats my husband would be more than happy to help me out and he did...
Emily was an amazing helper this year.  She meticulously scooped out all of the guts and separated the seeds into a separate bowl for me...
Grandma Emily helped us out and cuddled with Charlie the entire time...
When we were finally all finished (notice it was quite light out when we started and very dark when we ended) I had the kids help me take the pumpkins outside and we lit them up.  Emily chose a "girl" pumpkin this year.  She drew a sketch for me and then I replicated it for her on the pumpkin.  This little pumpkin girl even came well bedazzled with some glow in the dark earrings.  For Jack we made a "happy silly" pumpkin and as is tradition we made the WSU pumpkin....

1 comment:

  1. Those glowing skeletons are adorable! Are your kids ears pierced? If they are, you should try to find glow in the dark earrings. I know they make them for Halloween. I think I've seen little glowing skeletons and spiders. It would totally complete the outfit! Adorable.

    ReplyDelete